Progress is such an interesting thing. I think it reminds me of trips to the ocean when I was a kid. I'd get in the water and swim and play. Not notice the tide pulling me slowly down the shore. When it was time to go I'd find my bearings and realize I'd traveled a great distance from where I started.
Two years ago Ethan couldn't cope outside of his home, and even then he struggled. He used to knock over furniture, scratch and bite, and scream at school. I would get calls from the principal's office at least once a week. I really didn't know what would become of him. I remember sitting in the principals office with my 1st grader because he was getting suspended. again. I was on the verge of tears. again. His sweet teacher told me it would get better, that this was temporary, and was just a normal part of his progress. I wanted to believe her.
The other day I ran into Ethan's Occupational/speech therapist. She told me how much she loved Ethan! His resource teacher told me the same thing. His special ed teacher told me the same thing! Next year he will be transitioned into a regular ed classroom! Slowly, little by little the tide has pulled him along. The tide being a team of people who loved him and didn't see him as a behavior problem, or a money pit, but a smart, funny, kid with a lot of potential. At times when I was clouded by the challenges he faced at the present, they only saw what he would become.
I just wish I could progress in my challenges the way Ethan has in his! Oh to have his work ethic, will power, and desire!
2 comments:
I think I needed to read this today! I love you and your family so much. Girl, you are progressing more than you know.
Oh Natalee, that is wonderful! I knew all along that that would happen. It is hard when you are down in the trenches to see that you are winning the war, but you really are. I know I have told you that we had kind of a similar experience with Alex and I couldn't quite figure out how or when it went from horrible IEP meetings where I just got a list of all of his problems to happy meetings where all I heard were praises for my wonderful child! Looking back, that progress pretty much blew my mind.
It seems that I am the one who is slow to progress. I wish I could be more like Ethan too! Love you.
Post a Comment