Sunday, June 28, 2009

California Dreamin'

After a three hour flight squeezed snugly between two large men I was so happy to unfold my self from the position I was in and climb out of that plane. It was so great to see my parents smiling faces beaming at me. I think there are two kinds of parents in the world. Those who see nothing but their children's faults, and those that see nothing but their children's strengths. Luckily for me my parents are the variety that keep rose colored glasses close at hand for looking at their children with. The compliments flowed. They really think their children and children-in-law are the best at whatever they do. They know about our flaws, they just don't dwell on them or talk about them or attempt to talk to us about them. And I think we kids seem to do the same thing. We really do have the best parents ever.


After the love fest my generous parents wanted to take me out to a nice restaurant to eat. So we drove around awhile looking for just the right place. Well we came across an In-n-Out and that was it. So In-n-Out isn't exactly fine dining. But what you lack in fine dinig atmosphere you make up for in pure deliciousness. The decision was made for us. I wanted that cheeseburger more than anything else at that moment. The burger looks even better in person then in this photo because the cheese is melted all over the burger and sauce is dripping all over the place. When you get the burger the veggies are cold and the bun and meat and cheese are all warm. The fries come from actual potatoes!!! As you are standing in most In-n-Out restaurants you can see everything that is going on in the kitchen. There are no heat lamps or microwaves or freezers and everyone is chopping vegetables. I think I'm going to have to go a few more times before I go back to Texas. Sigh....
We then looked around a fantastic home decorating store called Tai Pan. It looked like a boutique except it was huge and cheap. For me huge+cheap+boutique=happy.
Then we went straight to the Van Buskirks house where we were treated to ribs even though it was pretty late. It was so great to see their beautiful family. I missed them so much. I didn't socialize much. I spent much of my time on the couch sleeping. They were kind enough to wake me up to eat and then let me go back to sleep.
Today we went to church and it was so great to see people I grew up with.
I need to say something about Gary. He is at home with all the kids shuttling them around, cooking, cleaning, breaking up fights, dealing with tantrums. He is the best husband ever!!!!! No one will ever convince me otherwise. The best part is no complaints!!! He thought me going to California for ten days all by myself was an excellent idea. Best Husband Ever!!!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you are having fun in CA! I miss you, especially on Saturdays and Sundays of course. Garage saleing was pretty good Saturday. And wonder of wonders- Brian was actually quite good at church today. He got the 'reverent sticker'. Talk to you later!

EMac said...

Natalee, It is so great to have you here. I had so much fun Sunday night talking with you and "creating". Gary is a great husband. I am so glad you married him. I just wish we all lived closer.

Zola said...

GARY IS THE MAN! He is making our joyful reunion possible, and we just can't thank him enough. We do miss him and the kids though-so much.

Mom Bradshaw said...

We just got back from Utah visiting children and grandchildren and I took a few moments to catch up on your latest blogs. I just wanted you to know I think you are wonderful and your children are precious and of course I love your sweet husband. We can hardly wait to visit you in 13 days. We always love being in your home. There is such a special spirit there. Have fun in California. We love you very much!
Mom B.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

You are so right about Mom and Dad. We really do have the best parents, don't we? They really do look at us, our spouses, and our kids with rose colored glasses. No wonder they are so happy all the time! Dad always looks at me like I am his little girl. I love that!

Jennifer said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! Mouth-wateringly, shoppingly, reunioningly happy! And you so deserve it. And Gary is going to heaven. He could kill someone at this point and still go to heaven.

Natalee said...

Jennifer you are so spot on. Gary is going straight to heaven. He has earned so many brownie points with me, God, nature, karma, etc. etc. He rocks!!!