Thursday, March 25, 2010

Beautiful Boy

My beautiful boy is turning seven tomorrow! A birthday is always exciting, but when I think back on the last seven years, I can't help but cry. Mostly tears of gratitude. I can't believe I was chosen to be this boys mother.

I have seen him face and tackle obstacles that would be debilitating for an adult. I have seen determination that exceeds anything I'm capable of. I've seen him struggle and struggle and struggle and then finally succeed. The heart break that is followed by the joy is indescribable.

One word that I think best describes Ethan is strength. By appearances he is a seven year old boy. He's skinny and kind of quirky. Not really interested in doing heavy lifting but the boy is strong, strong in ways that seem beyond a seven year old.

He is always working on himself, his behavior, his actions, his manners. I don't know if he is aware yet that he is different but he knows he struggles with certain things and he works at them.

He has drastically progressed the last six months. Doctors, teachers, parents, family, they all help but the reason Ethan has progressed is because of Ethan.

I love that boy. I love how he always always clears his plate after dinner because it is part of his routine. I love how he sleeps in a fort in his room every night with all the lights on in his room. I love how he is constantly asking us if we are joking. I love the jokes he tells. I love how creative his little mind is. He proves all the experts wrong who think Autistic children aren't creative. I love how brutally honest he is. I love how he shows his emotions with his entire body. He either loves something, or hates it, there is no in between and because he is brutally honest he will tell you.

I love how he will devour 3/4's of something before he suddenly decides he hates it and spits the remainder out. I love how we couldn't get him to eat pizza for several months because of the "pizza bones". I love that, regardless of all the struggles he's had in school he wants to be a teacher when he grows up. I can totally see him accomplishing that goal. I love his smile. I love how joyful he is. His kindergarten teacher told me he was the most joyful child she's ever taught. I love how he can go from the depths of despair to blissful happiness in 2 seconds. I love his gigantic hobbit-like feet that make a loud slapping sound whenever he walks on a wood floor. I love it when he does the robot dance and shoots with laser eyes. I love how his day can't start without a bowl of cereal.

I love you Ethan.

p.s. I found this picture on my camera and had to include it.



6 comments:

Lisa said...

This totally made me tear up too!! Happy Birthday Ethan, we love you and miss you soooo much!

Liz said...

Great tribute to one special boy! I love the way he starts a smile very small like he's thinking about it and then it spreads across his entire face.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

What a sweet post! What a darling beautiful boy! WE LOVE ETHAN and are so proud of him and how far he has come. What a joy! Happy Birthday Ethan!

The Genetic Mule said...

Oh I loved this post. So beautiful. You are most definitely lucky to have Ethan, and he is so lucky to have such awesome parents. Your family is so cool.

Court said...

Beautiful boy indeed. Happy Birthday Ethan!

Jennifer said...

I do not know how I my post thing isn't updating you, and I am sad because HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one fantastic kid!!! Oh Ethan, you are amazing! You are funny and a little honey! You are smart with a giant heart! I love you and I miss you calling out with your huge shining smile, "I'm happy now!" with your arms thrown out wide!!! Keep on keepin' on, dude! I miss you! I love you!