Sunday, March 7, 2010

Snow and Other Stuff




We had snow, not once, not twice, but three times this winter. Considering a snow storm is a rarity in this part of the world we were pretty excited. There is something magical about Texas snow. It is rare and precious. For our family it has become much the same as a holiday. If it snows we don't do anything constructive. We play in the snow, we watch movies, we drink hot chocolate and cuddle in blankets. I have to admit, beiing the desert rat I am, snow brings out the child in me. I built my first snowman over 18 inches this winter. I went for my first walk in the snow. I saw actual six sided snowflakes. They were like tiny shimmering crystal masterpieces clinging to every surface. i couldn't get over how beautiful and delicate they were. We had many snowball fights. Our beautiful white snowscape didn't last long. We knew the snow would only be there a day or two so we unleashed the children (and ourselves, lets face it we acted very much like children) and went crazy. By the end of the day our yard was a brown muddy field but we had a blast.
I have to say the first storm happened while we were in sunny California. We were so bummed we missed it because we thought it would be the only snow storm of the season. So, when the second snowstorm came we were totally thrilled. By the third we still had a lot of fun but were getting sick of the cold wet mush. I think if it snowed again this winter we would just hide inside. I think one snow storm a year is just fine for us.
div>
/div>

Our house after snow storm #2. It was the first we got to experience this winter. Our yard looks so much better covered in snow!





Views of our neighborhood!


Our Pecan tree.

Brynn kept referring to the snowflakes as "icebergs" She kept talking about catching the icebergs on her tongue and icebergs landing on her head.


Our snow angel! Brynn did not want to put her head in the snow!

This is our yard after we went crazy playing in it. I think we did a great job with the snow men for being such novices.









Lorin was a snowball master.









I have no idea what Brynn was making, but, what ever it was she sure spent a long time on it!


This picture may invoke pity. Our poor kitty left out in the snow begging to come in while we all sat warm in the house. All I had to do was remember the 30 plus piles of poop that greeted us in the hallway after we got home from California. Pity is gone! Suck it up cat. Besides we built a shelter for him to keep toasty warm.




During the #3 snowstorm we got 4+ inches of snow. All the neighborhood kids converged on our front lawn and for snowball fights and fort building. More than one car got hit with snowballs as they drove past. Oooops!



BRRRRRRRR!!!








Ethan spent all of ten minutes outside this time. He was so ever it. He just wanted to stay inside and drink hot chocolate!



On Other News....
Lorin made a model of the solar system. As usual she came home and started working on it as soon as she got home from school. She did a great job.






I made this for my mom for her birthday. Hope you like it mom. It will be sent to you soon.


This is a picture Brynn drew of me with food on my chin and freckles on my nose. I think it looks uncanny!


This is a picture Brynn drew of her self as a balloon! She gives everyone in her pictures rosy cheeks!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

What great pictures!! They make me appreciate our snow here . . . which I had stopped appreciating around October. I love the solar system too. Is Ethan still having a space party?

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

How fun! I think a snow storm once, maybe twice a year is about perfect! I love seeing the pictures of you guys.

Love you, love you, love you!

Can't wait for San Antone!

Natalee said...

Ethan is so having the space party thanks to your generosity. I want to invite all the kids from Ethan's class because they don't usually get invited. Can I handle 8 autistic kids? Oh well I'll do it anyway!

Zola said...

Those photos are precious. They make really miss you guys.
I love, love , love that apron!
Lucky me, can't wait to get it.