
As some of you might know our family is participating in something called Walk Now For Autism which benefits Autism Speaks. Now as many of you know, I despise fund raising passionately. I never ask family or friends to participate in school fundraisers. It is something I am totally uncomfortable with, but, I think I have been forced to do a lot of things I'm not comfortable with since our lives have been changed by Autism.
When I got the official diagnosis Gary and I were sitting in a conference room at the school with 10 other people most of whom were strangers. They informed me in the nicest way possible while still trying to hold on to some professionalism that my son was Autistic. Then came the lists of things I needed to do and people I needed to talk to and paper work and websites, etc. etc. It all felt completely overwhelming and I really don't remember most of it.
I came home and did what most people do, I got online. There were so many confusing voices out there. All of them said something completely different. There was anger, and bitterness, and a lot of blaming. Then there was Autism Speaks. This organization has only been around for five years and has done more to change the lives of people with Autism than any other organization. They are bipartisan and have a four-fold mission of research, awareness, advocacy, and serving families who have been affected by Autism.
They have funded countless studies on Autism, not just for a cure, but for prevention, for cause, and for treatment. They continuously advocate for state and federal legislature that supports things like Autism insurance reform. In most states people have to pay for all of their child's therapies out of pocket. Many have to do things like choose between paying their mortgage and treating their child. Before Autism Speaks no states had mandatory insurance coverage for Autism. Luckily, we live in a state where it is mandatory and Ethan is blossoming because of it. Autism Speaks also focuses on awareness. I think the group has really helped to change peoples ideas of autism using commercials, events, etc. I've been wearing the puzzle piece all month, which is the Autism Speaks logo, but has also become the universal symbol for Autism. So many people have asked me questions as a result. As far as serving families goes, well, so many times when I've had a concern or felt isolated, or needed an answer I got on autismspeaks.org. There are kits and community pages and resources.
We would really appreciate your support for Team Bradshaw. Any amount would do. You can donate directly to our team online here. You can click on the name of the team member you want to donate to, or make a general team donation via a link above the team page. Online they only accept donations for team members of 20$ or more. If you want to donate under twenty dollars just send me a check and I will donate it for you at the walk. I'll take pocket change!
I know times are rough right now. I totally understand if any of you are not able to participate. I will not be offended or put off and I'm really sorry if this petition makes any of you feel uncomfortable. I love all of you who read my blog and would in no way want to offend especially knowing that there are people like me out there who hate fundraisers. That being said, this is for my child. I have to do it.
3 comments:
If the worst thing you do is ask for your loved ones to donate on behalf of your child, well, girl, you are an angel. I love you for asking. I love that you know that you can.
Well said, sweetie. That is an amazing and worthy organization. They do wonders for amazing and worthy families. Thank heaven for such angels. Love you!
Done. We are happy to help Ethan and the wonderful organization that supports him and all of you. You are a dear. We love you.
Post a Comment