Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Anniversary

It was one year ago yesterday that Ethan was officially diagnosed with Autism.  A diagnosis that changed our lives forever.  Not for the worse, but for the better because he would have had it either way.  It was the day we finally got answers.  We finally got help.  It was the day we finally got to start to heal.  Wow it's been such a long emotional year.  At times I really thought it would do me in.  I didn't think I would survive.  But here I am, here we are, all the better for it.  Stronger, happier, healthier, more grateful, more patience, more love.  Also more fear and more worries but I'm hoping that will subside after a while and become a backdrop and not the forefront of my thoughts.  Another thing we gained is more friends, more wonderful opportunities, more understanding.  We've noticed that those who know us, at church, school and the neighborhood have gained the same things through knowing Ethan.  What a blessing that is.  What a blessing it is that we can share what we've learned with others and others, for the most part, have been so supportive and receptive.  And others have taught me a lot.  Yes I still have fear, but one thing I have that I didn't have before is hope.  Hope is such a great gift.  Hope gets you going when things get tough.  Hope partners with faith and I've found can get you through anything.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What a year, for sure! Oh my goodness, I'm so grateful we've both survived not to mentioned learned so much. Love ya, girl!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Bless you, Natalee. You are wonderful, and the Lord loves Ethan and wants what you want for him. He's there for all of you - this year and every year.