I am starting to feel better and as I am coming out of the haze that is having a nasty cold I notice how filthy my house is. It is so disgusting. I know I am going to be cleaning tomorrow and I am dreading it. I really hate cleaning. I like a clean house don't get me wrong but I don't mind a mess either. Lets just be honest I am constantly fighting my inner slob and when something happens like illness, forget it. It can be cleaned later. The mess isn't going anywhere. When our house was on the market and I had to keep it freakishly clean (no sign that people actually lived there) I did not feel more peaceful or serene. I felt completely anxiety ridden. I was constantly worrying about messes and keeping the house clean.
Anyway, we all know what I will be doing tomorrow, today however I happened upon the coolest furniture store ever. I am looking for some storage furniture because our little house we are renting has almost no storage. Abilene is like a mecca of stores selling other people's old stuff. I saw a sign on the side of the road in front of a shop and decided to wonder in. All I saw were drop clothes and unfinished furniture and thought maybe the store wasn't open so I turned around and left. I guess the store owner saw me and called me back. She showed me to room in the back of the store that was filled with the coolest old furniture. I loved every single piece. I saw a tall antique dresser I fell in love with immediately. It was solid oak. It had a section on top that was narrower than the bottom. It was very funky and had a lot of character. The price tag was 150$. That is thrift store pricing. The store owner then informed me that that was the price if I wanted it fixed up and painted any color I wanted. If I wanted it as is she would take 25% off. I bought the dresser and another piece.
Of course now I am riddled with guilt. In fact I rarely feel guilt except when it comes to money. I can't buy something that isn't on sale, and even if it is on sale it has got to be a mind blowing deal, at least 75% off. And then there is the amount. I have to say it was a great deal I got today but I spent so much money it almost cancels out the good deal I got. I called Gary about ten times because I think a part of me wanted him to tell me not to spend the money, but lets face it, Gary has never in our ten years told me not to do something. He doesn't care what I buy or how I spend money. He doesn't care if the house is a mess or if diapers go unchanged, or if I wear sweats all day. Yeah, he's a pretty cool guy.
Tonight w had activity days. Utter chaos. About twice what I was expecting showed up. so we had half the sewing machines we needed. I think Lorin and one other girl had even ever used a machine before. The girls broke the needles in both of my machines. They lost all of my pins, and the sister that is supposed to be doing it with me also works in scouting so she couldn't be there. when I told the girls they had to help clean up they looked at me like I was speaking a language they didn't understand. They helped clean up after I started using my mom voice. No more sewing projects.
Soon after Christmas we will be going to Houston. Hooray!!! We will be there for New Years so if anyone wants to party let us know.
7 comments:
I cannot wait until you get your furniture and show us pictures. I am dying to see that place. I wish they had something like that here. Lucky you. Don't feel guilty about he expendature, it is something you need and will always have. What a deal!
No guilt! In December we party likes it's 1999! (Back when all our bills are already paid). I want pictures of your stuff as well. I just bought myself $5 shoes from Target, and that was a stretch for me!
everyone can relate, especially me. I've had my christmas stuff out for 2 weeks and refuse to decorate till my house is clean. I may have to just give in, and decorate in the fog of messiness. Show us the furniture will yah?
Okay, Nat. Me and Jen just talked about it and since our family has absolutely NO New Year's traditions (except the tradition of going to bed at the regular time and not even staying up til' midnight) we'd love to party with you guys!!!! Ya' game?
That sounds like a blast Liz. Our New Years tradition is also going to sleep early so this will be a great change.
Mom told me about the furniture store. How cool is that?
Gary is a good guy. Don't torture yourself with guilt, girl. All is well. Merry Christmas.
Can't wait to see y'all!!!
Post a Comment