So since I've lived here in Abilene I've been teaching Sunbeams and I've loved it. I've taught it a few other times and have always loved it but this time was different. When I was called I felt so strongly through the spirit that the Lord had me there for a very specific purpose. That reason was a wonderful little boy named Brian, whom I love and when I first met him I knew I was supposed to be his teacher. I've never had an experience like that before. I loved all my sunbeams but the Lord wanted me there particularly for Brian. As a result I have become close friends with his mom which I feel very thankful for. Well recently they moved and I knew that because they had moved the Lord had other places for me. Today I was set apart as the first counselor in the stake young women presidency!!!!! I'm totally excited and shocked. I felt change was coming but I had no idea it was this. It will be a challenge because the church is small in this part of Texas. Our stake covers 2500 square miles. There are five wards and six branches in our stake. In some branches there is only one young woman so stake youth programs are the only way these girls can meet other members there age. I really have no idea what I'm doing but I think it will be great, busy and great.
I thought it was interesting that I would be called this week because this week has been quite depressing and discouraging. Ethan really struggled with school all week and had to be sent home one day for biting his aid. Sometimes I just don't feel like I see a change and I get so discouraged. I'm feeling desperation settle in. I was talking to his special ed teacher from last year (whom we've kind of become good friends with and who very much still plays a big part in Ethan's education) and I told her I just want Ethan to have a good day at school. She promised me that the good days would come, it will just take time. This is the mantra I keep telling myself to keep me positive, though sometimes it's hard:
The Lord knows what He's doing
The Lord loves you
The Lord loves your family
The Lord loves Ethan more than you love Ethan
Ethan has overcome a lot
Ethan has a great desire to be obedient
Ethan is doing his best
There are a lot of people who love him and who are helping him
The most important things in life take a lot of time and hard work
Ethan was born this way for a reason and we will be and are being blessed for it
I am strong enough
I can do this
9 comments:
Natalee, congratulations on your calling. You will do a great job!! Just wear lots of makeup and "old people" clothes so you don't get confused for one of the young women (ha ha). You look so young, so they will think you are one of them, and you can exert good peer pressure!! I am excited for you!!!!
I love the mantra you tell yourself. I am sure it helps you because it is true!!! It is hard to be living it, but all those things are true!!! What would you be missing out on if Ethan wasn't like that. It is kind of like people who have no kids. Their lives seen nice, clean, easy, but, kids are hard and you get so much out of being a mom. What blessings and lessons are you getting that we aren't. I know that I have many blessings that I have had from my problems/challenges, Ossil's cancer, our struggles with having children and a miscarriage, different callings I have had, having children, etc. Good and bad, trials, and challenges. You can do it!! I love you, and I am so proud of you!!
Lisa
You CAN do it. You ARE doing it. You ARE strong enough. And yes, the good days will come. I really really believe that.
What a calling! Whew! I hope you enjoy being in the stake; it was so eye-opening for me when I got a stake calling. Who knew the stake even did anything? hee hee.
I hope you don't feel so discouraged this week. I hope that hope shoves desperation out on it's fanny. I'll be praying.
You'll do great at the new calling!! You are an inspiration to everyone you come in contact with, so you can't help but do great things!
I love your mantra - you are a wonderful mom and Ethan is so blessed to have you.
I remember one time when you and I were walking (back in the good ole days!) and we were discussing some of Ethan's challenges and I said,"Ethan needs that tenacity for what he was sent here to do" (or something to that effect.) and in that moment I felt the spirit SO STRONG. I knew what had just come out of my mouth was absolutely true, and said through me, by the Lord. He will get there...you will get him there...The Lord will get ya'll there! I love you. You are stronger than you'll ever know. But the rest of us know, so we can remind you when needed;)
We were absolutely 100% meant to be in the Abilene 1st ward together- I have never felt such specific guidance in my life. Our family will never forget what you meant to Brian! I can't imagine where we'd be if we hadn't gotten to know the Bradshaw's. I can't believe you got a new calling right after we moved . . . WOW. You will be so awesome!! Young Women's is a blast.
We'll make it through this school year together, I know it. We still have a bunch of stuff to do before we can enroll Brian- I'll keeep you posted. Lots of love!
Congratulations on your new calling! What a great opportunity for growth! We have every confidence that you will do a fantastic job!Love and best wishes!
xoxoxo
You probably don't remember me, but I knew you through Liz and talked to you on several occasions. Just thought I'd tell you I love your blog and your thoughts, your wisdom, perspective, and your way with words. Probably my favorite post was the one about women; talk about powerful! I went back and read it late again. Thank you so much for sharing stuff with the world...I'm glad I found your blog, again, through Liz.
Hi Natalee! Just wanted to thank you for your blog entry about Brian. (This is Brian's grandma!)Having you for his Sunbeam teacher was truly inspired and gave him a great experience with Primary. Lisa loves you so much!! Thank you and I know your stake will be blessed to have you in your new calling.
Congrats on your new calling, sweetie. It is so interesting how the Lord tends to send us to the part of His vinyard where we can bless lives. Brian had moved, and now there are lives to be touched in your new calling.
Liz was right on. Remember, you and Ethan are both children of Ephriam, and you have tenacity of Ephriam and the support family, friends and the Lord to carry out the mission you have been given.
Post a Comment