Thursday, December 23, 2010

Early Christmas Present!!

I am an art lover!  I have to admit that, though I don't care much about celebrities, I do a fair amount of hero worship when it comes to my favorite artists.  I love a lot of artists, but I have a short list of my absolute favorites including the painter Van Gogh, the Sculptor Brancusi, The painter Georgia Okeeffe, and the painter Walter Rane.  I love Walter Rane's work.  I'm a HUGE fan!

 This painting actually has profound meaning to me personally and is my favorite! When Ethan was first diagnosed I had one of those "Why God...?" moments.  The answer was John 9:1-3.  Jesus and his disciples came across a man blind from his birth.  His disciples ask why, was it the fault of him or his parents.  His response is that the man is born blind so that the works of God may be made manifest in him.  Even though I always loved that painting, since then it has taken on even more significance.

  A couple months ago a young missionary named Elder Rane was transferred into our ward.  Yes he is Walter Rane's son, which, of course, is the first question I asked him!  Our family became quite close to him and Elder Perkins!

They are awesome missionaries!  They taught some good friends of ours the gospel.  Unfortunately they got transferred after only 6 weeks.  Before they left Elder Rane gave me these!!!

 Autographed Walter Rane prints!  I acted very cool but I was thinking EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!  I said thank you and shook his hand but I really wanted to jump up and down like people do on The Price Is Right when they win the car or the all-expenses paid vacation.  Yes I am that much of a nerd.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with all this beauty.  Should I combine the prints I already had and create a huge Walter Rane wall, or would that be akin to having a Walter Rane shrine?  I'm not sure what the lesson is in all of this.  Maybe it was just a happy coincidence.  I remember once being told by a temple sealer that there are no coincidences in the temple.  Maybe it's the same for the mission field?  Either way we got to know some really great young missionaries, we got to help the missionary effort, and I got some beautiful artwork!  Merry Christmas to me!

4 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Awesome! I have his print of Mary and Martha in my bedroom to remind me to be a little more Mary, and a little less Martha. Boy, how I need to remember that, especially this time of year!

He does beautiful work! Some of it is very classical in nature. The one of Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah and the angel reminds me of Michelangelo. I really love the "He is not here" one of the empty tomb.

You could do a whole wall. My friend Roxanne just showed me her wall - and entire wall packed with the family photos I took for her! She calls it the Rachelle VanBuskirk gallery. I think it looks fabulous, but I am a little partial. Or you could just have several frames, and switch the prints out periodically, to fit your mood or the season. Or you can spread them out a little, like throughout the house, (or even throughout our family, wink, wink.) Just kidding.


Lucky girl! You must be living right, lady!

Lisa said...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That is so so awesome!!!! I absolutely love the print you gave me of that painting. I can't tell you how many times its brought me comfort. What an amazing thing that you got to meet the son and get those prints!

Liz said...

How wonderful! How marvelous! I know what a special place in your heart art holds so what a precious gift!

Mindy said...

wow that is very cool!!!! Im jealous! In a good way!