![]() |
| Team Bradshaw 2010 |
Once again our family is participating in Walk Now for Autism Speaks to raise money for Autism research, advocacy, and awareness. I'll be the first to say, I hate fundraising. It is not in my nature to ask people for money. But things change you, including the diagnosis of a child. Like so many other parents, when Ethan was diagnosed I felt so completely lost. Of course I did what everybody does and went to the internet. Autism Speaks was like a beacon on a hill. They answered all my questions, they had resources, they were lobbying for more funding and insurance reform. While I was in a dizzying confused state, they were already fighting for my child!
The co-founders of Autism Speaks, Suzanne and Bob Wright had a grandson who was diagnosed with Autism. Even though they had money and resources they still found it difficult to get their grandson the help he needed. They soon discovered that most parents of a child with autism were completely on their own. Very little support from the school district, the government, and no insurance coverage. Everything fell on the parents shoulders. Many people didn't even understand what Autism was. So Suzanne and Bob founded Autsim Speaks and in only five years it has done more to help the cause of Autism than any other organization. They fund research, they provide support for parents and families, they lobby for better insurance reform (previously insurance companies did not cover Autism, which affects 1% of children in the United States!) and they raise awareness.
So far our team, team Bradshaw has raised $315.00 for Autism, we would appreciate your help. If you want to donate to team bradshaw go here. And if you're in Abilene on April 2nd feel free to come walk with us! You can join team bradshaw on the same page you donate. You don't have to donate to walk with us. The Autism Walk is basically a party celebrating all of out efforts. Last year they had bounce houses and Darth Vador! We appreciate all of your support!
On a side note, I highly reccomend getting involved with a charitable organization and working for something you really believe in. I hate to say it, but, I am an introvert by nature and if Ethan had not been diagnosed I'm sure I wouldn't have reached out and been involved in a cause. When Ethan was first diagnosed and I felt so lost I think my first reaction was to become withdrawn. A person from the district (who happened to be Ethans Special Ed Kindergarten teacher) came into our home to give us some parent training. My questions and concerns seemed to bubble over when we talked. Her response was simple "get involved". I did and it has totally changed our lives. Find something that you believe in, something that touches you on a personal level, whether it be Autism, or homelessness, or literacy, or heart disease, and get involved. Only blessings have come to our family since we decided to get involved. We have met so many wonderful people. We have had so many doors opened. We gained such hope just by getting involved. And the greatest part has been to see how excited my children get when they get to help. I can see our involvement as a family is helping to foster compassion in my children. After we had our fundraising garage sale, the kids and I gathered around and counted the money we made. I loved to see how excited they were to give that money to those who needed it!
On a side note, I highly reccomend getting involved with a charitable organization and working for something you really believe in. I hate to say it, but, I am an introvert by nature and if Ethan had not been diagnosed I'm sure I wouldn't have reached out and been involved in a cause. When Ethan was first diagnosed and I felt so lost I think my first reaction was to become withdrawn. A person from the district (who happened to be Ethans Special Ed Kindergarten teacher) came into our home to give us some parent training. My questions and concerns seemed to bubble over when we talked. Her response was simple "get involved". I did and it has totally changed our lives. Find something that you believe in, something that touches you on a personal level, whether it be Autism, or homelessness, or literacy, or heart disease, and get involved. Only blessings have come to our family since we decided to get involved. We have met so many wonderful people. We have had so many doors opened. We gained such hope just by getting involved. And the greatest part has been to see how excited my children get when they get to help. I can see our involvement as a family is helping to foster compassion in my children. After we had our fundraising garage sale, the kids and I gathered around and counted the money we made. I loved to see how excited they were to give that money to those who needed it!

1 comment:
great post. love you friend and i'll donate as soon as we get paid!
Post a Comment