Monday, August 18, 2008

Sticky Mango Rice Heaven

I was craving Sticky Mango Rice. Those of you who are familiar with this Thai Desert know exactly what I am talking about. Words cannot describe the deliciousness. For those of you who are not familiar with Thai food, mango sticky rice is like an Asian version of rice pudding. As much as I love rice pudding, I think this is even better. I searched the wonderful world wide web and found the recipe!!! Guess what? It's pretty easy.

I got it on about.com in the Thai Food category. The recipe was submitted by Darlene Schmidt.

1 cup sticky rice
1 3/4 cups water
1 ripe mango, cut into bite-size pieces (we used two mangoes), or 1 package frozen mangoes
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
1/4 tsp. + pinch of salt
2 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp. cornstarch

1. Soak rice in 1 cup water for 20 minutes, or up to one hour.
2. After soaking add another 3/4 of a cup of water plus 1/4 can coconut milk, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp. coconut flavoring, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Stir this into the rice, lifting any rice grains that have stuck to the bottom of the pot.
2. Gradually bring to a gentle boil, then partially cover with a lid (leaving some room for steam to escape). Turn the heat down to medium-low (2.5-3 on the dial).
3. Allow to cook for 10-20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed by the rice. Remove the pot from the heat, place the lid on tight, and leave to "steam" cook for 5-10 minutes. The heat inside the pot will finish cooking the rice.
4. To make the sauce, warm the rest of the cup of coconut milk together with 1/4 cup sugar (being the American that I am I added a little more sugar. Feel free to tinker), a pinch of salt, 1 tsp. coconut flavoring, and 1 tsp vanilla flavoring over medium heat (5 minutes).
5. Add cornstarch to the sauce and stir to thicken it slightly (we ended up not using cornstarch and it tasted great it just wasn't quite as thick). As it thickens, turn down heat to low. When thickened, remove from heat (this should only take a couple of minutes). Try not to over cook the sauce or you will lose that wonderful coconut flavor.
8. Before serving taste-test the sauce for sweetness, adding more sugar if desired.
9. Place scoops of rice in bowls, ladle with coconut sauce, and add some mango.

It can be served hot, cold, or room temperature.

I can't express how great it turned out. This recipe is highly recommended. Don't be deceived by the way it looks either. It looks like a pile of wet sticky rice with some mangoes but it is to die for.
Now, if anyone knows how to make those banana spring rolls with that caramel sauce from P.F. Chang's let me know.

6 comments:

Zola said...

O Nat, that sounds so-o-o good--Thai Smile kind of good. I wonder what those little crispy things are that they sprinkle on theirs? Where do you get coconut flavoring? Hmmm.

Jennifer said...

I will so be trying this out!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I'm guessing there's not a Thai Smile there in Abeliene, not that you could afford it. You're such a go-getter! This recipe sounds so great. I crave sticky rice every once in a while. Have any idea what the little brown crunchy things they put on top are? Thanks so much! We love you!!!

Natalee said...

I have no idea what those crunchy things are that they put on the rice at Thai Smile. Maybe you could ask next time you go there?
I wish I knew.

Because My Sister Told Me Too.... said...

That sounds so yummy. I've never even heard of Thai Smile. Is it really good? Maybe I'll see if they have one here in Arizona.

EMac said...

Thanks Natalee,
I love you! Thanks so much for the recipe. It seems so good, I just had to print it out!