I am creative. It is like air to me. It is a need plain and simple. It is a part of who I am. If I wasn't sewing I would be doing something else. I have to do something creative everyday or I feel like I am going to go crazy. For me doing something creative is meditative. It can't just be a craft, the kind that is in a kit that you just follow the directions and glue together (although that is fun too, it's just not therapeutic for me). I know people have asked me how I have the time to sew so much. The answer is I make time for it because I need it. I don't sleep much anyway.
To me sewing clothing is like solving the most fantastic puzzle. Getting something flat to fit around something with so many dimensions. It takes a lot of ingenuity. I used to hate sewing. My mother would try and teach me and I had no interest. I thought only old people sewed. It wasn't until after I was married and had just become pregnant with my first child that I took a sewing class. I was feeling very maternal and it was my last semester before transferring to a different school. I had taken all of my prerequisites and really just needed some extra units. It was the single most useful class I took in college. By the time the semester was over I could sew. It was like someone had taught me to read. It actually changed my life.
Sometimes I feel very solitary in my hobby. There just aren't many people who sew any more. Most people I know who sew, sew stuff like quilts. I love quilts but to be honest I love making clothes a lot more. I like looking at quilts and snuggling up under them but not making them. I would love to make friends with an 80 year old seamstress. All that wisdom and experience. It would be like a treasure trove. I guess the next best thing is my favorite website Burdastyle. It is a sewing website, and the main focus is clothes. All of the patterns are copyright free. Not to mention that but you can ask for help if you are stuck on a project. People post how-tos. And people all over the world are on it. I just downloaded instructions for drafting my own chudidar (Indian leggings) created by a girl who lives in India. Everyone is so complementary and nice when they comment on something you made. You have people on there who have just sewn their first project to people who are fashion designers. The best sewing website in existence.
My love of sewing has led to an unhealthy attachment to my sewing machines, especially my antique featherweight sewing machine. It is old and is half the size of a normal machine. It looks more like a toy then a machine but I have never sewn on anything with as straight and even of a stitch as that little tiny machine. And it runs so smoothly. If I had to put in order the things that I love it would go God, family, friends, featherweight, cat. This picture is exactly like mine.
My mom gave it to me one year while I was visiting. I had to take it as a carry on because I didn't want to check it. When I went through security of course I had to take it out of the case. The security guard, who was a woman probably younger than me, had me take it all the way out and set it on a table then she called over all the other female security guards. I thought maybe I was in trouble. I knew when they started eeewwwwing and aawwwwing and saying things like "That is the cutest machine I have ever seen," that I was going to be just fine.
So what are you passionate about? This doesn't include God, our country, freedom, religion, family, etc. These are all a given. Everyone is passionate about those. I mean other things that you really love to do that brings fulfillment. It could be having perfectly organized closets, or writing, or cooking, or reading, genealogy, or anything. I would love to hear about it.
3 comments:
"God, family, friends, featherweight,(?)--cat." Whoa! You really do love that featherweight! (I know how crazy you are about your cat.) I am with you, Even though I don't do much sewing any more, I really like sewing machines of all sorts, and my favorite is my little featherweight.
My passion? I am passionate about my little Cricut (pronounced "cricket"). I am constantly looking for reasons to pull it out and use it. Of all my toys, it is definitely my most favorite. (At least until the next toy comes along.)
I know exactly what you mean about the need to create. I need to be creative every single day! I find the time - I have to. And i have to actually create, not just copy - but I love it when people copy what I create, because I know that many people can't create, but can copy, and that is good too. I create, they copy, and we are all happy together. I have a passion for paper. I just love stamping and all sorts of papercrafting. Of course you know that. Remember when I had two tiny kids and found out I was pregnent with twins. Mom and I sat don to decide what I was going to cut out of my life to make time for the twins. We talked about all different things, but when one of us suggested cutting out stamping, we both shook our heads, "No way!" To give up stamping would have been like giving up sleeping. Actually, I'd give up sleeping before I give up creativity.
I also am passionate about watercolor, and wish I could find time to paint again.
And now I am passionate about blogging too. My new creative blog makes me want to be even more creative and finish projects I have been wanting to do for a long time. It is very motivating.
Have you thought of starting a sewing blog and blogging with other sewing fanatics like yourself? I know there are lots our there. Think about it.
Love you!
I do not know HOW my blog list missed this update! Sorry for the delay! I've actually been thinking about you and your sewing passion. My grandmother had the same (although she dreamed more than she sewed by the time I was of sewing age). But she bought and ordered everything. So, I've been going through a bunch of books and such to send you.
I actually really really like sewing. But I have rudimentary skills, no machine, no time, and am perfectly happy to wait on that. I just bought a skirt pattern to make up some summer skirts for Claire. I have to go use my Mom's machine. You know how she only wears skirts.
My passionate something? Well, I don't know! That sounds so pitiful! I love reading. I love thinking up creative ideas, but I never follow through. I guess I'm less passionate about that part. And I am passionate about blogging. It has opened up a whole part of me and given me really great friendships.
I really loved that post!
Post a Comment