70-150$. It seems anything therapeutic, especially when a disability is involved, is so expensive. So I did a little online research and made my own. Here is my first attempt.

I started with a normal vest pattern and substituted a zipper for buttons.
Before I sewed the lining to the shell I sewed pockets with Velcro closures into the lining.
I made 8 pouches full of rice and made them so they are just small enough to fit into each pocket. I weighed each pouch so they are 4 oz each. The vest weighs 2 lbs. I used rice instead of poly pellets, which are basically small plastic washable beads, because poly pellets are expensive, and rice is practically free. This way I can just pull all the pouches out when I wash it.The first time I put it on him a huge smile spread across his face and he wouldn't take it off for two days, even sleeping in it. It seems to be helping him immensely, especially when we are out in public. He wears it to school everyday. He loves it. We went to the fair and he was wearing his sunglasses, vest, and earplugs. He was happy and relaxed. Not anxiety ridden like he was at Disneyland.
With the success of this endeavor I decided to make two more.

I made him this one for church. It has a Velcro closure but I sewed buttons on top. I don't really like how the weights pull at the fabric and make the vest pucker at the bottom, but I didn't want to use fabric that was too heavy for fear that Ethan would get too hot wearing it. I'll have to play around with it a little.
In addition to the weighted vest medication has been changed. Also we took everything out of his room except his bed. His dresser and books and some of his toys are all in his closet. We wanted to give him a quiet, calming place to relax. We are looking for a rocking chair to put in his room because he likes to rock in them when he's frustrated, or sad. His good days have far outnumbered his bad days lately. I totally claim that as a success.
Also he might be put in a special class for autistic kids since he is having such a hard time in a normal class. The great thing about the class is the curriculum is the same but the environment is very controlled. It is very quiet, the lights are low, and there are only 5 kids in the class. The teacher is trained to deal with kids like Ethan. In fact the teacher has a son who is autistic.
Also, we went to the open house at school and Mr. Blessing, the principle, came up to us (he knows us all too well) and told us he was praying for us. I really love that man. His name fits him because that is what he has been for us. He is a really Christ like man and he shows it in how he cares for and serves his students and his community.


12 comments:
That smile on his sweet face says it all. Looks like the vest is worth its weight in gold. I am touched with the wonderful people that have come into your life to help you with Ethan. There are definitely angels among us on this earth, and many of them live in Abilene.
I'm always in awe of your sewing abilities. Great Job! They look awesome. I have no idea what weighted vests do, but I'll have to look that up. : ) I'm glad it's helping Ethan! He's looks so happy!
Natalee, you are a genius. A loving sewing mom genius. I love the vests. That is so nice you made several vests. He looks so happy in them. I can't wait to see him in his church clothes with his vest on. He will look so handsome. I am so glad that things are getting better. We pray for you too. Love you.
Those vests ROCK! And I love that Ethan loves them. I see a weighted vest trend at Ethan's school in the future! Natalee, you are such a wonderful wonderful mom.
And the new class sounds like such a wonderful opportunity--less distractions and a greater feeling of security. This post made me smile...BIG. :)
I am in tears. Tears of joy are streaming down my face right now. It is so wonderful wonderful wonderful!!! God is great! Good people abound! And you are the most amazing of amazing mothers. I am so happy for Ethan. I am so happy that the school can have his learning environment.
Could you weight the front and back of the vest to pull the fabric back up? You know best, you Project Runway genius.
What a happy post to read! Ethan looks thrilled with those new vests. You are a genius! I love that you have made him a variety of vests so he can pick what he wants and also be appropriate. I think the camo one is super cool! I am so glad that helps so much! What a blessing to find the little things that make him more comfortable. You are the best mom!
This makes me so happy. I read your blog every time you post something and I am so grateful that the Lord has been answering so many prayers lately. I just love you all and I am so grateful that things seem to be going better for Ethan and you. Its amazing how the small things really bless our lives. You are an amazing woman/mother and I look up to you so much! You are so wonderful and such an inspiration to me.
It's about time that sweet boy is put in a class that fits his needs. He can really be successful if put in the right enviroment. And that vest is wonderful! You should really get that down and open up a web site and sell them. Autism is soo common these days and thrapy stuff is soooooo expensive because they know that school districts and parents feel there is no other choice and will pay for it.
You are doing great!!!
Great job on the vests. I can't believe your principal's name is Mr. Blessing. My nephew's wife has a year round class that only teaches autistic children, if you have questions about anything, I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. Her blog is Candeanne linked to my blog. Dianna
Those are so cute and good looking! I worked with wonderful autistic 20 year old girls in college, and they did not have anything that cool, but I can see that it might have been such a great, comforting thing for them. Way to use your amazing skills to better the lives of your kids and others. You rock. And I can't believe how cute and fashionable they look. They don't look at all like a therapy treatment, they look like a great new trend.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6332954&page=1
This is totally unrelated to your post, but I found this BEAUTIFUL jewelry, and I knew you would appreciate it. Just wish I had the mad skills to make these gorgeous items.
Natalee that is so neat Ethan looks so happy and proud of his vests! You are so neat and do so many neat things and you are such an incedible mom, you make me want to be a better mom and person! Thanks for the heads up on the weighted Blanket I have ordered one for Blake I hope it works!
Post a Comment