Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Clarity of Mind

So, for the last couple of weeks I've been in this very contemplative state of mind. I keep having these moments of clarity where I look back on my life and can see the Lord's hand in it. I guess that's what trials do for you. They give you clarity of mind. Trials remind you of how small and insignificant you are and how all powerful and all knowing God is. And even with all of God's greatness and all of your nothingness he loves you because he sees you as you can become and he loves you because you are his child. As I have been very thoughtful and nostalgic as of late, rather than my usual obsession with crossing things off of my to do list, I have noticed that in every good thing, in every happy moment, in every blessing, and in all joy in my life God is there and the gospel is the source of it. God and the gospel have always been in the background of my life. God does more than the big eternal things like creating a world for us, providing us with a Savior, giving us a plan to return to him, and giving us free agency. He really is concerned with the details. In the eternal grand scheme of things does it really matter how Ethan does in school? I don't know, maybe not. But Heavenly Father knows that it is extremely important to us. Does modern medicine help us get into heaven? No. Do we need comfort and beauty and safety to get to heaven? Not really. But God doesn't just want us to survive until we return to him, he wants us to live and be happy. God's number one goal is our happiness, just like ours is for our children. He doesn't have to give us so much but he does because he love us and wants us to be happy. Anyway, enough of my random ramblings. Now I really do have to get to all of the things on my to do list.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, nothing wrong with the to do list. Amen to your post. How Ethan does in school, academically speaking, isn't nearly as important is that he go and experience and learn to the best of his ability. Because that will increase his happiness. I always find it strange that the most painful and difficult tasks are actually going to end up with greater happiness, but such is the Lord. Your post is timely for me b/c I am struggling in the deep end of the part that makes me doubt whether there is happiness to follow. You are very inspiring to me. Your year has been crazy, and here you are on the other side, looking back, able to see the good. That's amazing. I'm going to try to be like you.

Liz said...

thanks for sharing valuable insights that are for sure from the spirit. they helped me today. love you:)

Zola said...

I think Elder Bednar called those extra blessings "tender mercies". I think He gets a kick out of our little joys, and is overjoyed by our increased strength and wisdom when we overcome trials--just like any father. How blessed we are!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Those are not just ramblings, my dear, they are really wonderful words. Thanks for sharing your beautiful insights with us.

Court said...

I'm gonna try to be like you, too, Natalee B, b/c you're really awesome.