Friday, January 15, 2010
Help Zakh
I just wanted to let everyone know about a little boy with autism who didn't slip through the cracks, but was shoved through by the school district. Here is a link for the article. Basically the school refused to give Zakh anything he needed and instead continuously called the cops on him after his melt downs due to stress, sensory overload and everything else this poor boy was going through. Finally the teacher and principle filed charges! The boy is being charged with two felonies and could be sent to a juvenile detention facility! The school refused to give him his iep, wouldn't release records, wont give him an aid even though they are legally obligated to do all of those things. I feel the school failed the boy and are responsible for his actions. If they had fulfilled all they were required to do this would never have happened. I know this because my Ethan had very similar melt downs in school. The school bent over backwards to help him. If we lived in Arkansas it coulod very much be Ethan in that situation. It just makes me sick. http://www.examiner.com/x-4959-Special-Education-Examiner~y2009m12d30-Autism-is-considered-a-felony-in-fifth-grade?cid=edition-rss-National
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is just disgusting!!! A few days ago I went to a class on the education right for those of foster and adopted kids (because they usually have issues). And there are alot of laws for the children getting appropreate education, at least in Oregon. I would be interested in what would happen if that family got an educational lawyer and sued the school for not providing him with an education that fits his needs. I hate to hear about what these poor kids have to go threw to get any help. I don't see how this could hold up in court.
OK, I just read the article and I swear Those people are living in another decade! And some of the people that wrote in. I just hope that with this much exposure that this family will get alot of help. I do wonder if the reason that the gma couldn't see the records is because she isn't the legal gardian yet. So IGNORENT!!!
This breaks my heart.
I can't stand it. I cannot stand this at all. What terrible, ignorant, stupid mean people walk this earth. That sweet child and his parents. I'm praying for him and that some light will pry it's way into those dark closed minds.
Post a Comment