Sunday, September 21, 2008

6 Quirky Things

I know I know I have a lot more than six. I am a weirdo. I was tagged by Shelly to write about six quirks so here I go.

1. I hate cheap wooden spoons. The ones that are made out of pine and are rough. I can't stand to even touch them. We don't have any in the house and I refuse to use them. The closest thing I have to it are a couple of bamboo spoons which I love because they are smooth and not rough and dry. They are just gross. I also hate torn card board. I put them in the same category because they feel exactly the same to me and both make my stomach churn. I hate the packaging that has the cardboard backing that you have to rip off because I usually in one way or the other have to end up touching torn cardboard. I react to torn card board and wooden spoons the same way others respond to nails on a chalk board. That is how much I hate the way they feel.

2. I can't stand to be breathed on. it grosses me out. I've been pooped on, bled on, thrown up on without a bother. I'm a mom after all that is part of the job. But being breathed on really bothers me. I've even given one of my kids a timeout for it (this child knew my aversion to being breathed on and did it on purpose). The only time it doesn't bother me is when a newborn breathes on me. I kind of like their new, sweet, baby breath.

3. I can't stop hanging stuff on my walls. I have no problem throwing things away. I'm pretty good at being a minimalist except when it comes to art. I'm pretty sure I have an emotional attachment to the stuff hanging on my walls. I love photos or paintings others have made for me, I love family pictures, and I love art. I have certain artists that I adore and if you come over you will know who they are by looking at my walls. I like having them around. Looking at these pieces of artwork makes me happy. Its starting to get to the point where I am running out of walls. It's ridiculous. Some day my house will look like a 17th century gallery. There will be pictures from floor to ceiling because I cannot edit my walls. Someday I would like a room with very little furniture and floor to ceiling artwork and family photos.

4. I also don't like talking on the phone. I don't know why. I put off making appointments until the last possible moment. Why is it such an effort to pick up the phone? I don't mind others calling me but having to make phone calls is torture.

5. I can't stand shakes and smoothies. I used to hate shakes and smoothies but now I just can't stand them. Smoothies are completely out of the question. I wont touch them. There are certain shakes made at certain establishments that I will tolerate. One of which is the chocolate shake from In-N-Out. The other is the peanut butter shake from Mr. Frosty's in Pacific Beach. They make their own peanut butter. It is amazing. Even then I can only handle about one shake every few years. Last summer I had a shake from Mr. Frosty's and In-N-Out and that will do me for a very long time. I know I must not be human or something because what kind of a freak doesn't like a shake or smoothie. It's all about texture. The taste is great but the consistency is awful. I have a good excuse for this freaky, non-human behavior. I had jaw surgery when I was in high school and had to blend my food for three months. Try making dinner and then putting it all in the blender and then drinking it. Gross. It was just too traumatizing.

6. This is really strange. I have a recurring dream that I smoke and I really enjoy it. Hmmmmmmm. I don't even know what that means. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. I definitely never will. I don't want to either. All I know is that the dream version of myself loves a good smoke.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
I love you!!! (Sarah won't touch wooden spoons, either.)

Zola said...

Wow, just when you think you know all about your own kid, you get a revelation.---The breathing thing,I can understand, and the phone thing is a family trait. I knew you had a problem with shakes because of your surgery (I remember how testy you got when I tried to have you sip mashed potatoes). I understand your penchant for art on your walls because you have a degree in art history....But the spoon thing and the smoking dream thing--that is such a bolt from the blue.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

That smoking thing is hilarious - people fantasize about some strange things, but that takes the cake. At least you can't get lung cancer from smoking in your dream.
Those PB shakes from PB are the absolute best ever!!! I have to get one every time we go down to SD! I am glad your aversion allows you that one indulgence.