Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Think I'm Turning Japanese

I finished our Halloween costumes a couple of weeks ago but am just posting them now. I found it hard to round everyone up and put their costumes on so I could take a picture. I made them all Kimonos. Gary was a little worried when I told him I would be making him a kimono. I had to explain to him that men's kimonos did not look like women's kimonos. He still wasn't comfortable with the idea of wearing a kimono so he calls his a samurai costume. Usually for Halloween I throw something together a couple of weeks before. Our costumes usually consist of sweats with felt glued on and/or painted. When you combine living in a small town, not having a lot of friends here, only having one child at home, not wanting to spend any money, and sewing as a means to cope with stress (which we have had a lot of lately) you end up with five elaborate costumes a month and a half before Halloween. I think they turned out great.

I am especially proud of Ethan and Brynn's costumes. I didn't have a pattern for Ethan's so I took the pattern for the girls robe and cut it short. Then I added sleeves from another pattern and made him pants from another pattern. Then I just winged his green ninja triangle things that I saw in pictures when I did some online research on ninjas (yes I actually did research on ninjas and kimonos for authenticity. I'm ridiculous I know). I didn't have a pattern that fit Brynn so I had to grade down the pattern I had so it would fit her and then do all sorts of alterations. Brynn hated my trying it on her over and over again. When I was finally done and had her try it on for the last time she said to me "I don't wike it mama." She was so sick of me that day.

Mine was the most elaborate. I bought it because it was on sale for a dollar. I had no idea the work that would be involved. Well it ended up requiring about 20 yards of fabric. It is fully lined and there is a dickie worn under the kimono. Most of the fabric was from the dollar a yard section at walmart and an old king sized sheet I had. I love it and think it was worth all the effort.
This Halloween we are going to look so good. I wish you all could be here to see how beautiful we all are.









7 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oh my goodness girl, you are out of control! I am amazed at what you have done! Holy cow! Those are al beautiful! And a month and a half before Halloween. I bet you have Christmas pretty much "sewed up" by now too and are starting on your easter dresses next week. Tell Gary he makes an awsome ninja and I have some nunchuks he can play with. Love you all!

Jennifer said...

Natalee, you are so "Project Runway!" I love it! Those aren't costumes; they are outfits! I hope you get more use out of them than one night. I miss you!

Because My Sister Told Me Too.... said...

That is so awesome! I wish I could sew. I have a sewing machine, so it's about time I learn. Don't ya think?

EMac said...

I can't believe what a great job you did with those costumes. They are much more than costumes, they are works of art. Seriously, now all you need are the wooden flip flops. (and to dye your hair black). You are so talented Natalee. You can wear them on New Years as well. (In Japan everyone wears their kimonos, (if they have one) on New years and have a nice family spiritual type of dinner - a little like thanks giving). Miss you! Love You!

Zola said...

Natalee, I am blown away by those costumes. To think that you didn't even use patterns for two of them--you just winged it. WOW!!Your sewing skills are way over the top. What you can do with dollar fabric and a sheet is amazing. Love you, and miss you all like crazy.

Mom Bradshaw said...

You are amazing! I wish I could go trick or treating with you and see the reactions on people's faces when they see you all! Love it!
Love, Mom B.

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Natalee - Hi, it's Alysa. Rachelle's friend. I can't believe your Halloween costumes. They are simply awesome. I might have to pay you to make some of these outfits for me so I can use for my Japanese class. What a great idea. You are one talented woman! Keep it up girl. I'm trying to do a family costume as well. Everyone wants to do Star Wars. What?? I don't sew so I have no idea what do it. It might be fabric just pinned and draped around everyone's bodies. Great job girl!