Garden Party Bradshaw style.
We took the opportunity last monday, shortly after we got back from our trip, to start another garden. We forgot how much we enjoyed this. We decided to make a bunch of small garden boxes so that if it happens we need to move we can just pick them up and take them with us. it took us all day to build the boxes and for family night we planted everything. Just after we planted them a cold front came in and it got below freezing everyday for the rest of the week. We made a make-shift green house out of pvc pipe, a large plastic sheet and a bunch of rocks. we got the idea out of the square foot gardening book and it worked really well. Our plants survived the cold.
I put a denim curtain inside of the cabinet because sewing patterns are not very pretty to look at.
Helping Hands
On Friday Ethan came home from school with a new warm winter jacket. We are not used to cold weather, not that Abilene is cold compared to a lot of places, but it gets below freezing quite often during the winter. We are a warm weather family and poor Ethan did not have the right coat for this weather. One of the aides in his class brought a coat for Ethan that was once her grandson's but that he grew out of. He got it on Friday and it is Sunday and he has not taken it off since then. This is how he looked when he climbed out of bed this morning, in his pajamas with his coat on.
On the same day Lorin came home with a huge bag of food. I guess we made it on some list for poor folk and she will be bringing food home twice a month. I have some mixed feelings about this. Mainly because we have got food everywhere. We get food stamps and the state has been very generous in that regard. It is about twice what we spent on Groceries when we were actually making money and buying our own groceries. We have been stocking up on food storage with that extra money and there is literally food all over the house. I know there are others who could really use that food. I don't really feel right taking it.
Pierced Ears!!!
she finally did it. We told Lorin we would pierce her ears after she got baptized. She wanted them pierced so bad but she has always had an issue with needles and getting poked. We have taken her twice to get them pierced and each time she was just way too frightened to go through with it coming home disappointed and sad. Yesterday Gary asked her if she was ready to get her ears pierced and this time she gave him a very confident "Yes."
Since we were getting her pierced we decided to go ahead and do Brynn while we are at it. Some may object. She is only 2 after all but after talking with my friend Sarah while we were in Houston who always pierce her baby girls ears I was convinced. First of all morally we see nothing wrong with a single piercing in each ear so it is a given that it will happen eventually. Secondly, we avoid all of the drama that surrounded Lorin's desire to pierce her ears and her fear. Thirdly, its just easier to get them all don at once. Line them up and bam bam bam bam. The girls came home beaming. They love their new pretty ears. Both were very brave. Brynn cried only a little bit until she got a lollipop and all was forgotten. Gary took the girls to the store afterward and Brynn showed everyone who walked past her new earrings. She loves them. The are very princessy after all.








3 comments:
I don't even know where to begin!
Ethan in the coat - hilarious!
Pictures of the girls' ears - so girly and fancy!
The garden - you guys are so diligent and crazy! I have yet to garden anything.
The cop - Oh, the cop! Are words sufficient? I wish I had it on video to watch on my best and worst days!
The furniture - love it love it love it! And I love the green walls!
Oh, that pierced earring story hits a little too close to home. I hope Lisa doesn't read it, it might bring up a lot of bad feelings. It was quite an injustice when she waited so long, then mom gave in and got us ALL done at once. Its water under the bridge, Lisa, water under the bridge.
The garden: good for you!
The extra food: hey, it is a blessing! Food storage. With 6 very hungry, very growing boys, I have decided never to say no to extra food. Leftovers at a ward dinner, or whatever, they offer, I take it. No pride. This is survival.
The furniture: Love it. Sturdy old furniture is the best
Ethan's coat: funny kid!
The cop: Hilarious! Brought me to tears. I think maybe because you hit a nerve. " No officer, everything is just as we left it, isn't that obvious?" A theif might take one look in that car and decide it wasn't worth digging. I often think that if the police came over to the house, they'd think it was a crime scene for sure. They'd think that a burglar had ransacked the house, and I am fairly sure they would think there was a body buried in the mess of the boys' rooms. I hope no one ever does a luminol test with the black light, because there would be glowing splatters of body fluid everywhere. Maybe I should just go ahead and put op the yellow crime scene tape now!
-Love the furniture! You have such an organized sewing space, bet you love it.
-Dad will be thrilled about your garden, it's looking good.
-I got such a kick out of the jacket story. I love that Ethan feels so passionately about things.
-The girls are gorgeous in their new jewelry.
-The late-night visit from the law just cracked me up. I laughed so hard. You had already told me about it on the phone, but I still couldn't help but laugh. Oh the joys of motherhood.
-BTW, love your background we chose the same one, I am going to have to go back and change mine. You hve great taste.
Post a Comment