I am about to get on my soapbox. This is just a warning.
I do a lot of thinking when I am up at 2 am and sewing. I couldn't help but ponder on a conversation I had with some sisters from church while I was visiting teaching. These women are wonderful and I really love and respect them. While we were talking somehow the conversation turned to women in general. How women are jealous, judgmental, competitive etc. The list went on and on and on. I felt a little disheartened by this conversation and it contrasted so much with the spirit of fellowship I was also feeling during this visit. I think the most disheartening thing is that I have heard this conversation over and over again amongst many different women. Later that night I went to an enrichment night and again felt a great spirit of fellowship and sisterhood. Then this morning my visiting teachers came and visited me and again I felt the same strong spirit of sisterhood and fellowship. How I felt when I was with these wonderful sisters and how they acted was so different than the stereotypes that had been discussed previously that I could only come to one conclusion. The idea that women are jealous, judgmental, competitive, etc. was a tool by the adversary to pit women against each other. I believe it is a lie that has propagated since the beginning of time. I love being a woman. I believe women are awesome. I believe we are on the front lines in the fight for truth. I believe that the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. When we trash our sex and our womanhood we are helping to feed the lies that Satan has been spreading about women since the creation of Eve. Women are strong, compassionate, brilliant creations of our loving Heavenly Father. I personally know very few women who have those negative traits. I am blessed to have many many many women in my life who are generous, selfless, kind and loving, who put everyone else before them and who try to be Christlike in all that they do. We need to defend womanhood and it's virtues and not demean it. The Lord needs us in the fight for truth. We need to see ourselves as God sees us and not as the world sees us. Women are the jewel of creation. Women of the world unite!!!
OK. I feel much better now that I finally got that off of my chest.
7 comments:
Hear hear!!
WooHoo! You go girl! I am in total agreement. Your words are wonderful and inspiring. I may quote you in a talk one day. I figure if you put it out on the net for the world to see, I can quote it in a talk. I may even use it this Sunday--hmmm. I am so proud of you; you turned out real good.
Right on! I so totally agree!!!!!
Very articulately expressed. Good job,Natalee! :)
Love ya-Mom B.
Natalee, it is not in your nature to feel that way. You are such a great person.
You are so right! The women I know only care for each other so much. The Lord knows women need to care for each other, and that is why we have visiting teaching and relief society. Where would we be without our girlfriends?
The one and only fault I consistently see in women is that they try too hard to be everything the Lord would have them , and then they fell guilty about what they don't do. I know I feel that way a lot. But I look around at the women I know and love whom also feel that way, but they just do so, so much and I am so grateful for them.
Hop up on that soapbox anytime, my dear.
Amen Sister! I have been feeling so much loving toward my fellow women lately. My YW lesson was on the Joys of Womanhood and so is the February Visiting Teaching Message. You are so intune.
Post a Comment