Sunday, January 25, 2009
No more credit card debt!!!
We have payed off our credit card!!! We hate debt (ironic since we are living off of student loans). Gary did not qualify for any financial aid when he was taking his prerequisites and junior college here is pretty expensive. We didn't live in a community college "district" so Gary's tuition was the same as it would have been for a four year university. With books, tuition, laptop, and everything school required we racked up some debt. Some was on our credit card and some on a personal loan. We would not have done that for anything else but we knew we had to take some risks so that Gary could go back to school. Any extra money that was not from college loans we would put toward our credit card and we will send our last payment tomorrow. After our tax return we will be able to pay off almost half of our personal loan. Hopefully by this time next year the only debt we will have will be school debt. Of course you never know what tomorrow will bring especially when you don't make any money but I feel like we have been very blessed to have been able to do this. Then after Gary has completed school we can start working on paying off our student loans. We sat down and figured out that if we pay off our student loans in 10 to 15 years (that's actually fast!!!) Lorin will be in college. I guess that's what happens when you go back to school in your thirties. Oh well, an education is the only thing you can buy in this life and take with you in the next. It is an eternal investment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That is so awesome! We're trying to chip away at our debts, and honestly sometimes it seems so hopeless. Student loans keep us afloat, but it will take so long to pay them off! I can't wait for the day when we are debt free. With a baby on the way it seems even more daunting.
That is a wonderful accomplishment! You guys are awsome!
Such a great feeling. Before we got married, Ossil's brother gave him a car, and Ossil agreed to pay him for it later. We started dating, and then got married, and we owed Ossil's brother $15,000. I remember how great I felt when we gave him the final check. I was so excited. I also remember how great it felt to pay off the credit card bills. The great thing about it is that you know how heavy it is, and later, you won't get back in it unless it is a necessity. So proud of you!!!
Natalee,
I just caught up on all of your posts. Okay, sooooo exciting about the girls' ears! They both look so pretty! Smart to get Brynn's over and done with. The furniture--I am IN LOVE! Those are fabulous pieces! They look soooo good. Your graden--you are amazing. The end. Your soapbox--I totally agree. Talking this way about women is degrading to us all and then we start to believe it (with Satan's help) and then we start to act like it. It's no good. I love the women in my life like crazy and get some of my best love and support from other women. In fact, I just taught R.S. today and felt it was so rewarding and wonderful b/c those ladies offer nothing but support and love. Your impending credit card payoff--THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I am so happy for ya'll!
p.s.-Tell Gary I'll try to call this seek regarding M.I. I know he's tried to get a hold of me but I've just been super busy. I'll call or IM him.
WOO HOO!!!!!!
Feels great, doesn't it? Nothing like no credit card debt. We are so proud of you. You both have always been so wise with your money.
Post a Comment