Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jesus vs. Superman

Now that Ethan is starting to get help and has Gary there to shadow him on Sundays he seems to be getting a lot more out of church. He is really into the story of Jesus walking on water. He told Gary today that Jesus walks on water and superman flies. We decided to take this opportunity to differentiate between Superman and Jesus. So at the dinner table today we discussed the difference between Jesus and Superman. Finally we decided that Jesus was better because as Ethan stated it "I could put on my swim soup and go to the beach and if Jesus is at the beach I could see him walk on the water." He also said "If I had a cut then Jesus could make the cut go away." Jesus is also better because He died for our sins and was the Savior of mankind. Ethan did point out that Superman was a superhero. While that is a good quality superman is fake and Jesus is real. Jesus won.

Today at church in nursery it was time to put away the toys. After the nursery leaders and kids put away the toys the kids kept trying to get into them. Brynn designated herself as toy guard and sat her little self on top of the toy chest. All the other kids were having complete fits because they could not get around her. She had all the power. She knew it was not toy time so she was not going to let anyone else touch the toys. The nursery leaders got such a kick out of her. Brynn is a normal two year old. She doesn't always follow the rules. She is a pretty good kid though. Even at this young an age she knows how to press buttons. I'm sure that is what fueled her sudden desire to follow the nursery rules. Also Brynn is intimidated by no one. She is always brimming with confidence and thinks she is ten feet tall.

Today was the primary program. Lorin was assigned a talk. Lorin being the precocious child she is wrote her talk early and by herself. She knew she wanted to write about Noah. I helped her look it up and she did the rest. After about a page and a half I made Lorin wrap it up. I had to remind her that there were other kids speaking as well as musical numbers. In the program Lorin reads a scripture and then gives a talk. At the practice for the primary program the primary leader who was helping the kids with their parts kept trying to help Lorin read the scripture. After Lorin was done with the scripture she pulls out her big talk and reads it effortlessly. She was also assigned to give a talk later that day in primary. OF course she jumped right on it and wrote it herself and gave it without a hitch. AS she was preparing it I had to help her tone it down. If she had her way it would have been ten pages long with several visual aides. We decided to go with one and a half pages and one visual aid. Some day Lorin will be a fantastic Relief Society teacher.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hallelujah! Plus, there's the issue of kryptonite. Only Superman has that downfall.

We had our program yesterday, too! That's a great story about Lorin. She's really awesome!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Glad you cleared up the Superman/Jesus issue with Ethan. I'm cracking up about Brynn. Oh the power to sit on the toy box! Lorin must get that propensity to give long talks from her aunt Shelly. I always struggle to keep my talks and lessons down to a proper length. I feel her pain.