In a couple of days I will be leaving California for a long time for the final leg of our trip, a Bradshaw almost family reunion. Though I look forward to the reunion, the thought of leaving makes me sad. The palm trees, In n Out, beautiful weather, the beaches, our old friends, our family, the sunshine, the mountains. The whole atmosphere, I love it all. Yes California has it's problems. I know this. It is too liberal, too granola, too weird etc. I have to say, it was a wonderful place to grow up and experience life and I will take it flaws and all. Besides sometimes being weird adds interest and charm. I often think that weird = good.
Not that Texas isn't great. We actually love Texas. We love Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. Texas has got plenty of weirdos (Keep Austin weird!). The problem is that it is so far from California. We have very fond memories of both states. How do we reconcile the distance between the two. Nothing is close to Texas except Texas. All our favorite parts of Texas are on the side of Texas farthest from California. Nothing short of science fiction could solve this problem. Maybe I could find a rip in the space time continuum, or a parallel universe where California and Texas are somehow closer. Until that happens I will have to settle with the long arduous drive and trips that never come often enough and are never long enough. Maybe we could live in New Mexico. We love that place too.
4 comments:
I miss you too! (We will be living vicariously through Sarah when she goes to Paris.) Liz and I have discussed a trip up to Abilene for a little visit. Ideally, it would be for the day-after-Thanksgiving sales, but perhaps our family wouldn't see it that way ;)
Oh Sweetie, we are not looking forward to watching you drive away. We have loved being with you with even through the toaster times. But we know that you are yearning to get on with your life,
have a real home, and stop living out of a suitcase. On to bigger and better things for the Bradshaws!!!!!!
Thank you for the post cards! I love them!
I love that line, "Nothing is close to Texas except Texas."
You guys would probably love any place, because you'd find great friends anywhere, and you have such a good attitude. So really enjoy your time in Texas, but in four years, we'd really like to convince you that SoCal is where its at (or at least where we are at). We'll miss you guys!
Post a Comment