Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why Toaster Days?

A while ago there was a series of events that led to the total annihilation of our toaster we like to call the "toaster incident." It all started with me sleeping in. I had insomnia the night before and As a result of going to sleep at midnight, waking of at 3:00am and not falling asleep again until 6:00 I was not able to get up at 6:30 to get my oldest ready for school. I ended up sleeping in. I woke up ten minutes before the bus was supposed to come for my oldest child. So I jump out of bed and ran madly around the house looking for clothes, breakfast items, and something to pack in her lunch, not to mention brushing hair and teeth, checking homework, etc. As my luck would have it my house was an utter disaster area, we had zero food in our house, and all the clothes were dirty. So as I was making my mad dash around the house trying to get my oldest ready for school without clothes or food, I find my four year old cured up on the floor throwing up. So as I run over to help clean him up I hear my baby screaming at the top of her lungs. I find her in her crib covered in her own pooh. It is all over her, the walls and the crib. I look at the clock and realize I have got to get my oldest out the door now. So I run to the kitchen pull a frozen loaf of bread out of the freezer and in my anxiety slam it down on the counter. The frozen block of bread hits the nob on the toaster and breaks it clean off. I tried in vain to get it back on and as I tried I could feel this burning heat growing inside of me. Then I had a very Mr. Hyde moment when I threw the toaster down on the ground and stomped on it over and over and over again until all that was left was a crumpled ball of plastic and metal. I looked over at my oldest and she was crying. Then through her tears she said to me "Mommy, don't you know I like toast?"
This experience taught me that I cannot be all things to all people all the time. And even though it felt like it, it was not the end of the world. My daughter was late for school but she got to school. My kids and their messes cleaned up pretty easily and the only thing I did for the rest of the day was go to the store and buy a new toaster. The toaster is now my favorite appliance. Whenever I see one I am reminded of that horrible morning and that what may seem like a trial now is usually with time a distant and often humorous memory.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

HURRAY!!!!! I miss you TERRIBLY, and I'm so glad you are in cyberspace!

I hope that the rest of your vacation isn't so toastery as the beginning :( Keep me posted! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

Jennifer said...

How did you get that sweet layout for your blog?

Jennifer said...

Music for the blog: go to www.playlist.com and create a new account. Then create a new playlist. Once you add all the songs you like, click "Generate Code." It is a link underneath your player when you are on the "View." Choose option E: "Get the code for any other social network, code...." Follow the steps from there. Once you get the code in a box, highlight and copy it.

Now, on your blog. When you are editing your layout, Add a New Page Element. Choose the HTML/Java Script option. Then paste your code into that box. Ta da!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Natalee, The funniest thing about that whole toaster incident is that you have always been the most even-keeled, easy going person I know. Just the thought of you jumping up and down on that poor toaster makes me laugh! It does my soul good to know that even mild-mannered Natalee has days like that. I just have them way more often. I think you had a few of them this week, though. love you!